The non-competitive event focuses on international independent cinema and is an excellent opportunity to present Catalan cinema in the UK. Co-organized by The Institut Ramon Llull, the Catalan program, under the curation of Ramon Lamarca, features five films from October 20 to 26 in the Arts Picturehouse in Cambridge.
Catalan productions presented are:
- In the Company of Women (Las buenas compañías), by Silvia Munt. 20th October, 12:30 and 22nd October, 16:10
- Binu: A Two-Stars Story (Binu, història de dues estrelles), by Guillem Cabra and Mar Clapés. 21st October 21, 16:30, 23rd October 15:00h, and 26th October, 14:25
- Creatura, by Elena Martín Gimeno, 22nd October, 18:10, and 24th October 15:50
- Quest, by Antonina Obrador, 20th October 18:00, and 22nd October, 13:25h
- The Permanent Picture (La imatge permanent), by Laura Ferrés, 22nd October, 20:45 and 24th October 13:40
The after screening discussions will be attended by filmmakers Guillem Cabra, Mar Clapés, Elena Martín, and Antonina Obrador.
Festival’s past edition in 2022 featured the films Pacification by Albert Serra, Sinjar, by Anna Maria Bofarull, La cuina dels homes, by Silvia Subirós, Nosaltres no ens matarem amb pistoles, by Maria Ripoll, El fred que crema, by Santi Trullenque, and Alcarràs, by Carla Simón.
The 42nd edition of CFL features over 100 films from 30 countries, including over 25 UK films and short films premières, and some European premières.
Catalan cinema presence in the UK is growing and consolidating each year. Most significantly, this year Catalonia is Guest of Honour at the Raindance Film Festival from 22nd October to 4th November. Also, Scotland will host a Catalan Film Festival in early 2024.